Monday, March 17, 2014

Grandpa Wertz

After a week and a half I finally feel like I have my feet back on the ground and am able to sit down in some peace and quiet to share my thoughts.

Last Sunday, my Grandpa Wertz passed away.  He had one of the most brilliant minds for music I've ever known someone to have.  His musical talent was amazing and I always enjoyed hearing him play his violin.  He was an amazing composer, musician and teacher.  He taught hundreds of students and shared his love for music with them as well as his own family.  His heart was one of the kindest I've ever knows as well.  His sweet, gentle demeanor was well known and appreciated by many.

Several years ago Grandpa was diagnosed with dementia.  These past few years he experienced a very rapid decline and was moved into an assisted living home last year where he could receive around the clock care.  My grandmother is a saint.  She spent every moment of her day either with Grandpa, or worrying about him, or preparing to care for him.  Her love for him was evident in every action.  What is remarkable to me is that though Grandpa didn't recognize us, or even his own wife, he never lost his ability to play music until the very end.  We would visit him and he would play his violin for us.  The music was in his soul...he knew when he touched the violin what he was supposed to do.  It brings tears to my eyes to remember those special moments where we watched and listened as he played music for us, even though he had no idea who he was playing for or why.  He just loved to play.

I'm grateful that Grandpa has been freed of his dementia.  I know that he is in heaven now, with mind open and free and is watching over us, especially Grandma, as we mourn his passing.  He was such a special man and will always have a special place in the hearts of all who knew him.

God be with you 'till we meet again, Grandpa.  We love you.

You know how I love pictures...I took some time to go through my pictures today and I'd like to share some of my favorites of Grandpa...









You can read his full obituary here

No comments: