You read that title right. I had H1N1 (I refuse to say I had the SWINE flu..yuck) AND I'm pregnant! I found out a few weeks ago, we've been telling our friends and family over the past few weeks and are finally going public with our happy news. I always swore to myself I would NOT tell people I was pregnant until at least 12 weeks. But this is one secret I could not keep any longer! Plus, many people have been finding out so.... :) I am about 9 weeks along, baby Anderson is due October 13th and I've been sick sick sick...which brings me to this blog...
A few weekends ago we had Jake's family down to our house to share our happy news with them. On Saturday I started feeling sickly but let's face it...I feel sickly a lot AND I knew I was pregnant so I brushed it off and just continued to go through mounds of kleenexes. Then later that night I had major asthma attacks and woke up several times throughout the night not breathing, gasping for air or just in major need of my inhaler. Then Sunday I realized those aches and pains had gotten worse and a fever now accompanied all my symptoms. Add those things together and what do you get? Flu. I was in denial because when my mom suggested that I just said no, I think it's just a sinus infection. I even planned on going to work Monday. Once my fever hit 101.8, the highest it's been in a long time (I'm usually about 98.4), I called in for a sub and Jake and I hit the nearest pharmacy for some meds to tie me over. We called the nurses line and they encouraged me to go to the ER especially since I'm pregnant, but I was still in denial. I was able to get the fever under control with Tylenol but I refused to take anything else before speaking with a doctor about what would be safe for the baby. I got no sleep on Sunday night and called the doctor first thing Monday morning. They got me in pretty fast, swept me right on through to an exam room (don't want those flu germs in the waiting room!) and did a flu test. It was of course positive and my doctor told me though there was no rapid H1N1 test, that's what it most likely was. I GOT A FREAKING FLU SHOT this year!!! Just not the H1N1 shot. She talked to me for a while but all she could really give me was Tamiful so my asthma just had to deal with itself. She told me I had to miss all week of school and sent me on my way. I started crying as soon as I got in my car (pregnancy hormones anyone?!?!) and called my hubby and mommy and daddy. I totally revert to a little girl when I'm sick. My dad quickly got on the phone with a close family friend who is also our family physician to get his input on the situation. He, along with my doctor here in Katy, told us I was a complicated, high risk case....H1N1 + asthma + pregnant = YIKES. I needed 24/7 care and Jake just couldn't do it by himself. So we packed up and drove up to Sherman so my parents could help out. My mom took a few days off work, Jake was able to work in Sherman and I was able to be waited on hand and foot. Mimi cooked me soup and chocolate pudding, mom got me everything I could ever need or want and made sure I took my medicines, Dad brought me lunch everyday (all I wanted to eat was a Jr. burger from Sonic) and Jake did everything he could to make sure I was comfortable and added in a nice dose of humor of course. I went to see our family friend and he confirmed the diagnosis and was able to give me a few more meds to help the infection in my lungs. I made it through all my prescriptions and am finally able to say I'm feeling better.
So my symptoms finally started clearing up, leaving behind a huge feeling of fatigue. Not only was I 7 weeks pregnant I was recovering from the flu so energy was non existant for me...still isn't. I went back to work a week ago and it was the hardest week I've had this year...and I've had a lot of hard ones. I was constantly exhausted, nauseous everyday (pregnancy or sick...who knows?!) and grouchy! Poor students.... :) They are obsessed with the Teacher From the Black Lagoon series right now and are probably thinking I'm a character from the book. Today went a little better. I'm now about 9 weeks and still tired all the time but that's to be expected and is something I can deal with. At first I was hungry ALL THE TIME but now I can't eat anything or even think about food without my stomach turning. Don't worry, I'm taking care of my pregnant self and forcing food down, but I don't have to like it!
We had our first doctors appointment last week. I LOVE MY DOCTOR. She spent lots of time with us, answering questions and giving us lots of information about everything pregnancy. We also had our first ultrasound and heard little peanut's heartbeat which was 145 bpm. The baby is measuring a bit smaller than expected but we're going with the original due date of October 13 for now. We are both beyond excited...we both LOVE kids and have wanted a baby for a while now. We just wanted to wait until we were ready and stable (not moving around) and financially prepared. Which is now! Jake is so fun...he was the one who posted it on facebook first and was begging to tell people weeks ago. He's ready to be a daddy and a great one he will be! He's predicting a baby boy of course and I semi-agree. However, according to this 90% accurate Chinese calendar we found, it's a girl...so we shall see!!
So that's about it for now! Updates will be coming frequently (hopefully!) so check back for more!
5 comments:
Sorry to hear you were so sick. I didn't remember that you had asthma.
I just wanted to let you know that the chinese chart was wrong for Aiden, according to it he should have been a little girl. It was also wrong for my sister. So there goes that 99% accuracy.
Congratulations! Babies are the best and you both will be such great parents! Hope you get to feeling better soon. So fun that you and Brooke are having babies so close together!
Congrats hope all the best for you and your growing family!!!!!
Hooray! Congratulations! I am so glad that you are better and hope you continue to gain strength. You are going to be an amazing mother and I pray that things will be easy on you. Congrats!
Congrats on the baby and I am so glad to hear you are feeling better. Being pregnant with your sister is a lot of fun. It is even more fun when the babies get here and you can chat about everything and use each other for support. I am so happy for you and Jacob.
Post a Comment