Saturday, May 19, 2012

Violated

Today started out as a gorgeous day.  I slept until 9:30 and I can't tell you the last time that happened.  I left the house 10 minutes after I got up to make a tanning appointment and run some errands.  My last stop was Babies R Us.  I was in and out within about 15 minutes since I was just using up a few coupons.  As I walked back to the car with my cart I noticed a man in the passenger side of a suburban that I thought was mine.  I stopped in front of the car next to the suburban, embarrassed, thinking I had walked to wrong car.  Then I saw the A&M Century Club sticker on the back window.  It was my car.  This guy was in MY car.  HIS car was backed into the spot next to mine with another guy behind the wheel.  I was in shock and the only words that would come out of my mouth were "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" Yes, I really said that...it's so me :)

After I said that, he jumped in the passenger side of his car.  I was literally standing in front of their car so they had to maneuver around me but didn't mind hitting my cart as they made their getaway.  My cart went spinning across the parking lot and another man turned around to see what was happening.  I was glued to my spot so he chased after them trying to get a make, model and license plate number for their car.  Thank goodness for special strangers that are good Samaritans and don't mind taking time out of their day to help a shaky, scared, nervous 25 year old girl that can't even move or talk.  He and his sweet wife will definitely make it into my prayers tonight.

Long story short, the jerks "punched" the lock on my car and stole my purse.  The joke is on them though because it was an old purse worth maybe $30 with nothing of real value inside of it.  I called the police and they came out to take a report but I know nothing will happen and I'm fine with that.  What I'm not fine with is how violated I feel.  I actually saw this happen, almost got hit as they got away and just feel so unsafe now.  I am so lucky that I didn't have Elizabeth in the cart with me.  I just feel like these things happen to other people, not to me.  But it did.  I went from being upset and scared to furious.  I am so mad right now.  I could have had my child with me!

Lesson learned.  Don't even leave things that look like valuables in the car.

This is how they broke in... had I clicked my alarm button on my keys twice the alarm would have gone off.  Won't be making that mistake again.

The broken lock (see how it is punched in?)

What the lock normally looks like


No comments: