In 1993, my family built a home. We built it from the ground up. I was 5, Ross was 3 and Brooke was 8 when we moved in. We all lived in that home until we left for college. I actually returned to live there again for a few months after I was married. We all returned home on numerous occasions, sometimes for specific reasons, sometimes just because. It's truly where are hearts are. There are so many memories in that house. From broken windows to flooded bathrooms, hidden secrets to family events...happiness and joy, tears and grief. Every emotion has been experienced in that home.
For 21 years that home has been my safe place. I attribute that to my parents. They made it that way. They kept us safe, they were always there for us, they created those lasting family memories. They....are moving to Illinois.
When we found out about the move, the part that really got me was that our home would have to be sold. Yes, my parents will be far away, but I feel like the distance is manageable. Selling the house, means nowhere to come home to in Sherman. We have a lot of family there and many places to stay but it's just different.
Let me just pause and brag on my dad for a minute. He accepted a job within his company (Caterpillar) that is easiest to explain as a promotion. He could have stayed put at the same job he's held for the past almost 30 years. Instead he decided to explore this option to better himself and open up new doors and avenues for his career. What a leap of faith! This is quite the adventure for him to take and I couldn't be more proud.
I'm also super proud of my mom. In her position, I might have discouraged my husband from pursuing this opportunity. I just don't like change! But after much prayer and thought, she has stood behind him 100%. That takes great courage and I hope I will always be as supportive of my husband as she is of my dad.
I'll miss our house so much. My sister and I jokingly talked about buying it, and I so wish we could! To many people, a house is just a house. But for us, that home is a part of our family and we'll miss gathering there. Our family is close no matter where we live though, and that part won't change.












1 comment:
What a beautiful tribute! Brad's parents did the same thing about 5 years ago, and although it was sad to see the house go, there will be lots of new memories to be had in Illinois!
Post a Comment