On July 5, 2006 my cousin Alex went into the Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT. He trained there for 6 weeks to serve a mission in Utica, NY and the surrounding areas. On July 10, 2008 he was released from the NY Utica mission and came home to Texas on July 13. And you better believe we were all there waiting for him! Alex and I are 2 months apart and have been raised together, always in Primary together, always good friends. Of course, our friendship has nothing on his and my younger brother's friendship...in fact, they spent the first night Alex was home together watching movies Alex had missed! I believe most of my readers know all about a mission so I won't go into details. Just know we missed him a lot! I talked to him on the phone once during Christmas 06, got about 3 emails from him before his mission said no emails except to mom, and wrote letters...that was the extent of our contact. Alex is a great guy with an amazing sense of humor so we are so glad to have him home and are very proud of the wonderful missionary he was in NY. The people were all sad to see him go so we know he made quite an impact on them. But what can we say...we are much better off with him back in Texas!!
We all went to the airport to see him without him knowing we'd be there. And by all...I mean all. There were about 25 of us there!! Poor guy!

His plane was delayed a few hours so we waited....
and waited....but finally....
He came around the corner as surprised as could be at everyone who was there waiting for him and how much we had all changed.
He met his niece Shawnee for the first time...She was born in February 07.
Old friends reunited!
And so excited!
Alex saying to his younger sister, "you know I'm not going back right?!" She was a bit excited to see him!
Oh yes, we all wore I heart NY Shirts for Alex...lovely I know! Here's Jake and I sporting them!
And the whole fam back together again...it sure has grown! Look at Amanda...she's about 9 months pregnant and looks 6! So cute!Things Alex missed while he was gone:
Amanda & Travis's Wedding - August 2006
Brooke & Ryan's Wedding - December 2006
Shawnee's Birth - February 2007
Hillary & Jake's Wedding - July 2007
Among many other things....luckily he's home for Baby Emma's birth to Amanda and Travis and Baby #2's birth to Jessica & Dayne. Congratulations!!
We have a very close family so for him to miss these important events is a sacrifice that he was more than willing to make to serve the Lord. And we know how blessed he will always be for doing so!
No comments:
Post a Comment