Friday, August 22, 2008

New Job!!!

Just FYI this one blog has taken me DAYS to complete...that's how crazy life is right now!!!

OK! I've pretty much explained all about this new job of mine so let's move on to bigger and better things...like my brand new classroom!! Sory Elementary is a brand new school, this is its first year so I'm excited about the school year. PLUS, EVERYTHING is new and I mean everything. The classrooms are huge, there is a workroom and tutorial room for every grade level, everything is so open and bright...it's just wonderful, so I feel very lucky. I was able to start working in my room last Wednesday and have spent every day up there since. I sometimes am pulling 11-12 hour days, but they fly by and I don't even notice so it's not too bad. But here's why I'm there so much....This is what I started with... (and no the SMART Boards aren't mine!)

And this is how I felt!!
But...it slowly turned to this....


And then a little more organization.



But SOOO bare! My goal for my classroom was for it to be bright and cheery and this was just blah. So that's why my days were so long. I was in training and meetings for a good part of the "work day" so I spent my afternoons and evenings working in my classroom and preparing for next week. Tonight was Meet the Teacher (remember I wrote this last Friday!!!) so I wanted to have things as finished as I could. So here are the "After" pictures.
View #1
View #2...I had been trying out my new projector and forgot I left the screen on so you get to see a lovely picture of me and my hubby a few times!!!
View #3
View #4
View #5...the cubbies
View #6...my homemade bulletin board ;) and the back of the room
View #7....window side
View #8....the temporary Math center. I have a girl coming in from SFA to do observations for her college class and she'll set up a Math and Writing center!
View #9...I thought these bulletin boards were awful at first...but they've grown on me! One and half of the other are for Calendar and the bottom will be "Student of the Week" A few of these are sidways and to be quite honest, it's because I just don't feel like making the effort to rotate them! Yes, I am THAT tired! I'm lucky to even be getting this done, as slow as this computer is moving!
View #10...Computer Center/Thinking Maps/Shapes/Colors
View #11...My storage! Love all the cabinet space!
View #12...Reading Center
View #13....my poor desk area was such a mess. But I had to get a picture!!!
View #14...Outside bulletin board with the names of my kids on the stars....
View #15....Other bulletin board...to show off our wonderful 1st grade work!
View #16...Sidways again! Super cute sign my mom gave me!
View #17...WELCOME!! I loved this sign. Mardel's is the BEST store ever.
That's pretty much it!! I've actually changed a few things and added a few things after doing this. It's Wednesday night now so I've had 3 wonderful days so far. I'm not lying, everything is going perfectly. I'm a bit tired, but I've always struggled with a low energy level so it's nothing too out of the ordinary. I'm blessed when I'm at school though because somehow I get all the energy I need to keep up with my 16 (yes, only 16!) first graders. I'm completely smitten already and truly love my job.
I get to go see Jake in 2 days!!! I miss him and I really miss his family too so I'm heading down there to kick off the Aggie football season on Saturday and celebrate a long weekend. I'm SO excited since it's been 2 weeks since I saw Jake. That is literally the ONLY downside to this new job situation. However, I did get my first paycheck which was made out for 100 times more than I've ever made!!! So is it worth it?? I'll have to let you know!!! Until next time....

5 comments:

AimeeTheSuperMom said...

It'll be totally worth it. Trust me. Your classroom looks AMAZING!!! (I can only wish my desk were as "messy" as your desk is).
Another great place for fun bulletin board stuff is Sav-On on Texoma Parkway. It's a total hole in the wall place, but all their teacher supplies are 1/2 off. I lived there when I was teaching.

blog_meg said...

So you're saying your insurance boss was cheap...HAHAHA! Hmmm...

I totally loved this blog! I've been trying to picture you in your element this week. Your kids are going to LOVE you!!

Anonymous said...

Your classroom looks so cute!

Em said...

Hillary it all looks great! I love the reading area & the cute chairs. Your room is huge and how nice it must be to have all NEW stuff!!! Good for you!!!

Brooke and Ryan Steed said...

Hillary, everything looks so cute! Hopefully I will see it in person in a few weeks!